st: RE: Stata 10 bug or bad memory?

From   "Joe McCrary" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata 10 bug or bad memory?
Date   Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:40:58 -0500

There are a few memory testing programs available. Do a Google search for
'memtest' and you'll find them.

Are you running any programs while you're running Stata? You may want to try
exiting as many programs and services as possible.

Is the data file large relative to the amount of RAM on your PC or that
you've allocated to Stata? Again, clearing out everything that's running may
help.

Does this happen with multiple data files, or just one?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of William Bishop
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:57 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Stata 10 bug or bad memory?

I have been having a problem with Stata 10 and I'm not sure if it is a
problem with the software or perhaps my hardware.

The problem is that when I view a dataset using Data Editor sometimes
I see duplicates of the same variable (two columns that are identical
next to each other).  Also when I close the Data Editor with the X in
the top right corner (OS is XP Pro) or the Preserve button, I see Edit
then Preserve in Results Window, then when I re-open Data-Editor one
of the variables will be missing.  This happens consistently.  I
open,close, and re-open Data Editor and each time I do that I lose a
column.  (Note:  in the Variables window the lost variables still
appear but if I run a display command on them the result is "not
found")

I have the most recent update of Stata and am thinking it might be a
memory problem but I thought I would check to see if anyone else had a
similar experience because I have not noticed any memory problems in
other applications.

William