st: RE: method needed to alternate the order of variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: method needed to alternate the order of variables
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:28:22 -0000

A related problem is discussed within

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/reshape3.html

Here is the related problem.

Question
If I have many variables all occurring in pairs for two years 1997 and
1998, so that the dataset looks like A97, A98, B97, B98, and so on, is
there any easy way to reshape the data to long without typing all the
stub names?

Answer
The variable names are collectively *97 *98, so we need a way of
expanding that list of wildcard names automatically and then removing
the suffix. We can work on either *97 or *98.
unab is usually billed as a programmer's command, but it can be used
interactively. It unabbreviates a varlist and puts the result in a local
macro.

  . unab vars : *97

Then we zap all the occurrences of the suffix "97":

  . local stubs : subinstr local vars "97" "", all

In other words, each occurrence of "97" is replaced by an empty string;
that is, they are removed. See macro.

Then we can

  . reshape long `stubs', options

Thus if you

unab stubs : *_x
local stubs : subinstr local stubs "_x" "", all

and do this

foreach s of local stubs {
	local vars `vars' `s'_x `s'_y
}

you are some way closer to a solution.

I haven't used SAS, but I doubt that it is as inflexible as implied.