Re: st: missing year in panel

From   Viktor Slavtchev <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: missing year in panel
Date   Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:10:09 +0100

Maarten, you are right I should clarify the point.
There is yearly questionnaire I am relying on. However, for some reason, this questionnaire was not performed in 1993. That is, the 1993 wave simply dies not exist. The data for 1991, 1992, 1994 and so on are available. My question is, whether this is problem in exploiting the panel structure of the data and how to deal with?
--viktor

Viktor Slavtchev
Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena
Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
Chair of Business Dynamics, Innovation and Economic Change
Carl-Zeiss-Str. 3
07743 Jena, Germany
Phone: ++49 (0)3641 9 43 223
Fax: ++49 (0)3641 9 43 232
www: http://www.wiwi.uni-jena.de/uiw/index.html

Maarten buis wrote:

--- Viktor Slavtchev <[email protected]> wrote:

I have a panel with one missing year. For example the data is
available for 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995 and so on, but not for 1993.
That is not because the survey, I've got the data from, was not
performed in the year 1993. My question is how to use the panel
structure of the data, considering that particular break in the data?
Do I understand you correctly that the survey was performed in that
year but that year is missing for everyone? That to me seems to suggest
a serious problem in the data preparation (e.g. you appended the
different waves to create a single file, but somehow the append for
wave 1993 failed), and I would go back to that before trying to do any
analysis.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam