st: seed setting and -simulate-

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: seed setting and -simulate-
Date   Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:33:58 +0100

Dear Statalisters,
I have a question concerning seed setting before -simulate-.

My question came up after a comparison between the results of

set obs 10000

gen A=556 in 1/10000

. sum A

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
           A |     10000         556           0        556        556

. return list

scalars:
                 r(N) =  10000
             r(sum_w) =  10000
              r(mean) =  556
               r(Var) =  0
                r(sd) =  0
               r(min) =  556
               r(max) =  556
               r(sum) =  5560000

. scalar a=(r(mean)/r(mean))^2 //assuming that the mean is the same value as
the std. dev.

. scalar b=(r(mean)^2/r(mean)) //assuming that the mean is the same value as
the std. dev.

. simulate (b*invgammap(a, uniform())), reps(10000) nodots seed(999): sum A

      command:  summarize A
       _sim_1:  b*invgammap(a, uniform()).

and

gen B=649 // following the same procedure as detailed above for variable A.

However:

-when I set -seed (999) - in -simulate- command, the results for _sim_B are
10,0000 out of 10,0000 times > _sim_A;

- when I did not specify -seed- in -simulate- command, the results for
_sim_B are 5418 out of 10,0000 times > _sim_A (and this is was I expected on
the grounds of my previous experience).

Is there any explanation supporting this (seemingly odd) difference?

Thanks a lot for your kindness and for your time.

Enjoy your Sunday and Kind Regards,

Carlo