st: RE: Re: RE: when your sample is the entire population

From   "McKenna, Timothy" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: when your sample is the entire population
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:00:06 -0500

The issue of having the entire population as your sample, and, along the
same line, whether to apply a finite population correction to your std
errors, depends on the goal of your analysis.

For example:
Say one wanted to know the ratio of girls to boys on sports teams in a
school then taking the entire population as your sample would give you
the exact answer.  There would be nothing more to examine, you would
have exactly estimated the ratio.  Similarly, you would apply finite
population correction to your std errors if you only sampled a fraction
of the students in the school.  However you get to do this because you
have a narrow goal, inferring what the ratio actually is.

If you wanted to look at the ratio of girls to boys as part of a
statistical model of whether there gender discrimination then you need
to leave the finite population world.  Essentially the model would
suggest that in a world without gender discrimination you would expect a
certain ratio.  One would then look at your sample (i.e. the
population), a realization of this school specific process where girls
and boys choose or don't choose to play sports, and then use some sort
of statistical test to update your opinion on whether there is gender
discrimination.  Among the statistical approaches I can think of, the
size of your sample, not the size of your sample relative to the
population, will help with the precision of your method.

-Tim