Re: st: when your sample is the entire population

Subject   Re: st: when your sample is the entire population
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:13:32 -0500

Lloyd Dumont <[email protected]>:
If you imagine sampling your "population" data from a superpopulation
of possible populations, via a SRS, the calculated SE refer to that
process; so if you google "superpopulation" you will find more info.
Fisher and Neyman and others famously wrote about this in the
1915-1935 period, and the issue continues to confuse and confound.

Imagine this: testing whether mean earnings are higher among men or
women in some firm.  If you have population data (every worker) there
is no statistical "test" necessary, right?  Simply compare the means
and accept/reject based on that comparison.  But most of us would like
to assume a data generating process where men have a mean m and women
have a mean f and the population data are generated according to some
stochastic process, and we want to test m=f via a t-test, say, not
whether the observed population means are identical.