RE: st: string calculation

From   tanaka yoshi <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: string calculation
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2008 06:10:03 +0900

Dear Bill

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and answer. I really appreciate it.

I understood your answer about my previous quetion, but I have one more question about matrix calculation.
I am really sorry to trouble you again.

First, I define matrix X.

X=("a","b"\"c","d" )

Next, I would like to define Y, which is the inverse matrix of X, in the following form.

Y=("d/ad-bc","-b/ad-bc"\ "-c/ad-bc","a/ad-bc")

is there any command to get the matrix Y, which consists of string expressions???

Thank you very much for your help.

Yoshi

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: string calculation
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:26:30 -0600
>
> Tanaka Yoshi  asks,
>
>> I have a question about the matrix calculation in the form of string.
>> [...]
>>
>> . mata
>> : X=("a","b")
>> : Y=("c","d")
>> : Z=X+Y
>> : Z
>> 1 2
>> +-----------+
>> 1 | ac bd |
>> +-----------+
>> : end
>>
>> the result is (ac, bd), but the expression i want to get is (a+c, b+d).
>
> I assume Tanak means that the result is ("ac", "bd") and what he wants
> is ("a+c", "b+d"). One solution is
>
> : Z = X :+ "+" :+ Y
>
> : Z
> 1 2
> +-------------+
> 1 | a+c b+d |
> +-------------+
>
> Above I used the :+ operator, see -help [m2] op_colon-.
>
> Another solution is
>
> : Z = X + ("+", "+") + Y
>
> : Z
> 1 2