RE: st: twoway area with no outline along the baseline

From   "Downs, Sara" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: twoway area with no outline along the baseline
Date   Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:47:04 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Winter
(UVa)
Sent: 11 January 2008 13:05
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: twoway area with no outline along the baseline

Scott,

Yes indeed; that is roughly what I meant in my option (2) about adding
fake observations.  That may be the best way to go . . .

Cheers
Nick

Scott Merryman wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Do you mean something like this?
>
> sysuse auto,clear
> qui {
> count
> set obs `=`=r(N)' + 2'
> sum weight
> replace wei = r(min) in `=r(N) + 1'
> replace mpg = 0 in `=r(N) + 1'
> sort weight mpg
> sum weight
> replace we = r(max) in l
> replace mpg = 0 in l
> }
> twoway area mpg weight,sort  color(gs14) fin(100) ///
> 	|| line mpg weight ,sort lc(black) ///
> 	|| , legend(off)
>

> Scott
>

> On Jan 10, 2008 3:37 PM, Nick Winter (UVa) <[email protected]>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As part of a more complex graph I'm trying to construct, I want to
>> create a -twoway area- plot that lacks the outline along the
baseline.
>> THat is, I want the outline along the "peaks" of the area, as well as

>> along the vertical drops down to the baseline at the minimum and
>> maximum of the data, but I do not want the outline along the baseline
itself.

>> The two approaches that occur to me are:
>>
>> (1) overwrite the baseline with an appropriate -twoway line-, with
>> the line color set to the fill color of the area plot.  THe problem
>> here is that when the area plot gets very close to the baseline, the
>> outline of the peaks can get overwritten as well if it is close
>> enough to baseline at some point along the area.
>>
>> (2) create the area plot with no outline (that is, with the outline
>> the same color as the fill), then create the outline with -twoway
line-.
>> This does not create the vertical drops to the baseline at the min
>> and max of the data without adding fake observations.
>>
>> I could do (1) and then (2), using (2) to re-create the line wherever

>> it might be overwritten in step (1), but that seems inelegant at
best...

>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> --Nick Winter

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904

Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA)

This email and any attachments is intended for the named recipient
only.
If you have received it in error you have no authority to use, disclose,
store or copy any of its contents and you should destroy it and inform
the sender.
Whilst this email and associated attachments will have been checked
for known viruses whilst within VLA systems we can accept no
responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on VLA's computer systems may be monitored and/or
recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other
lawful purposes.