st: RE: Questions on ivprobit (probit model with an endogenous regressor)

Subject   st: RE: Questions on ivprobit (probit model with an endogenous regressor)
Date   Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:22:42 -0000

Stephen,

It's impossible to tell without seeing the actual call to -ivprobit- and
what Stata makes of it.  You should post this.

> 2. The dependent variable, vrics, is a dummy coded 1/0.
> Hence, my use of ivprobit. However, the endogenous regressor,
> bdin, is not. Isn't ivprobit reading the data on bdin as
> dummy?

No.  It's because you're using the default ML estimator.  If you use the
two-step estimator, you'll see that the first-step estimates for bdin
are exactly the same estimates you get if you use -regress-.

> My question is based on the fact that OLS estimates of
> the bdin equation is different from those returned by
> ivprobit for the first-stage regression. Also, Stata 10
> reports iteration for "Fitting exogenous probit model".
>
> 3. Stata increases the number of the instrumented variables
> in its results than I originally specified in the syntax? Why
> that? Is it because my model is under-identified?

Again, it's impossible to tell unless you show us the call to -ivprobit-
and the results.

> 4. For the fitting of the full model (i.e., probit model with
> the endogenous regressor), Stata goes through iteration from
> 1 to 1070, reporting that the intervening iterations (i.e., 1
> to 1068) are not concave. Why this long iteration? Does it
> suggest that the model is mis-specified? Or implies that the
> results are not correct?

You're probably asking a lot of the data, maybe too much.  Perhaps you
have some multicollinearity problems.  Are many of the coefficients
insignificant?

> 5. Stata 10 does not report model summary statistics for the
> first-stage regression with bdin as the dependent variable.
> Is there any way of getting these statistics?

With the ML estimator, the "first-stage regression" isn't really a first
stage, since it's estimated simultaneously with the main equation.  I
think this means that you just have to get the stats you want from the
main -ivprobit- results with the ML estimator.  You could switch to the
two-step estimator so that the first-stage results are reproducible with
a simple call to -regress-, but this doesn't seem like a good reason to
do this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes