Re: st: Trend test in meta analysis

Subject   Re: st: Trend test in meta analysis
Date   Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:23:09 -0500

Vijay, Tom, and Ben:
I have read neither of the references cited by Ben and Tom, but it
seems to me a more fundamental problem is that the meta-analysis
includes observational studies (I assume). The principle of
meta-analysis is to combine several low-precision unbiased estimates
to get a high-precision unbiased estimate; if every study exhibits a
positive bias, can one even consider a meta-analysis?  In that case,
some kind of sensitivity testing � la Rosenbaum's _Observational
Studies_ seems in order.

That said, I am wondering if some kind of sign test (see -help
signtest-) might not be a good way forward, e.g. count the number of
studies with s1>0 (where s1 is the coef on category 1, low dose
smoker, with the reference category nonsmoker represented by the
zero--could also omit comparisons with zero) and s1<0, those with
s2>s1 and with s2<s1, those with s2>0 and s2<0, etc. Under the null of
no trend, all of these events have probability one half. A similar
approach would be to use -nptrend oddsrat, by(category)-, I think.

Does that make sense in this context?  This is very far afield from my
own field...