RE: st: egen to calculate industry medians with own frim excluded

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: egen to calculate industry medians with own frim excluded
Date   Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:08:33 -0000

In addition to Friedrich's helpful answer, note that this is
an FAQ:

FAQ     . . Creating variables recording prop. of the other members of a
group
        4/05    How do I create variables summarizing for each
                individual properties of the other members of a
                group?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html

The FAQ outlines a method that is likely to be somewhat more
efficient than Friedrich's method, replacing a loop over all
observations with a loop over within-group identifiers.

Friedrich Huebler
=================

The commands below should give you what you need. Other list members
may be able to offer more efficient solutions.

sysuse auto, clear
keep mpg rep78 foreign
egen group = group(rep78 foreign)
replace group = . if rep78 == . | foreign == .
gen median = .
count
local n = r(N)
quietly forvalues i = 1/`n' {