Re: st: coding categorical variables

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: coding categorical variables
Date   Wed, 5 Dec 2007 04:03:38 -0500

I believe there are three dummy variables: child1, child2 and child3,
where child1 is equal to 1 if child==1 and is 0 if child !=1, and so
on. The notation child* is shorthand for child1 child2 child3. The
nocons option tells Stata not to include a constant, so that this set
of dummies is not collinear.

As far as statistical interpretation, using dummies instead of child
allows the effect of going from 0 to 1 kids to differ from the effect
of going from 1 to 2 (and so on). It's a more flexible specification.

HTH,
DVM