Re: st: RE: filters in stata

Subject   Re: st: RE: filters in stata
Date   Tue, 4 Dec 2007 12:16:03 -0500

Juliusz Jabłecki <[email protected]>:

I disagree that replacing missings by zeros in an infinite sum should
be fine.  I think the programming is fairly easy, but given that the
task seems like a bad idea, not worth the time.  Consider what such a
method would do to a time series of 10 obs with b=0.5, picking some
arbitrary nonzero X_t values for t in [1,10].  The obs near t=1 and
t=10 will be smoothed toward zero, for no good reason.

You could get very close to what you claim to want by running -lpoly-
(possibly within panel using -statsby- perhaps) to do local mean
smoothing using a Gaussian kernel and an appropriately chosen
bandwidth, I think.  But again, it's not clear to me that this is a
good idea.