st: SET MEMORY PROBLEM

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: SET MEMORY PROBLEM
Date   Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:46:59 +0100

Hi everyone,

I have a big database in which the number of rows is equal to 6519324 and the number of column is approximate to 170 (including fixed effects), and I have 5 years.
My model is the following:
I estimate:
lnX_ij=�+�_1 lnY_i+ �_2 lnY_j +�_3 lnPOP_I+�_4 lnPOP_J+�_5lnD_ij+�ij

to estimate this model I have to use a poisson.

when I use all years I get following message:

no room to add more variables due to width
An attempt was made to add a variable that would have increased the memory required to store an observation beyond what is currently possible. You have the following alternatives:
1. Store existing variables more efficiently; see help compress.
2. Drop some variables or observations; see help drop. (Think of Stata's data area as the area of a rectangle; Stata can trade off width and length.)
3. Increase the amount of memory allocated to the data area using the set memory command; see help memory.

Instead when I use just one year I get next message:
matsize too small
You have attempted to create a matrix with more than 300 rows or columns or to fit a model with more than 300 variables plus ancillary parameters. You need to increase matsize using the set matsize command; see help matsize.

I have tried to set Stata memory in different ways, instance:
set matsize 500
set maxvar 2048
set memory 1350m

but stata doesn't work yet. My laptop has the following characteristics:
RAM 2047 MB
SYSTEM 32 BIT AND PROCESSOR CPU INTEL CORE 2 [email protected] GHz

what can I do?

Thanks

federica

* For searches and help try: