st: R-squared between in Xtreg FE

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: R-squared between in Xtreg FE
Date   Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:57:44 -0500

Hi all,
I am still on self-learning of panel data. sorry if my question is too simple.

I know that FE captures only within-variation, so what does the "R-squared
between" indicate?

Actually, in my research, I am not only interested in the hypothesis that x
causes y over history within units, but also the hypothesis that higher x
causes higher y across units (for each given year). Also, i want to get
estimates for time-invariant unit-variant control variables.

So, I may need a meaningful R-squared within. Which model is the best for me?

Thanks.