Re: st: Is there a new zanthro command for the new 2006 WHO growthreference standards?

From   Elizabeth Rainwater <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Is there a new zanthro command for the new 2006 WHO growthreference standards?
Date   Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:50:51 -0600

Hi Gaby,
I don't know what you mean by "error", since that is normal output for the program. I ran the macro in IC Stata 9.2 and got the same messages. Did the program just hang, or was there an actual error message? I only had 300 cases, and I remember it taking a couple of minutes to run. Then I got more output about flags and where the data was saved. Since I am using Stata IC and not SE, the program could not calculate prevalences and exited with that error after calculating the z-scores. (Francesco <[email protected]> rightly pointed out this and other limitations of the WHO macro, and I agree with him about the advantages that an updated -zanthro- would offer.) I am pasting the relevant portion of my log file below. I'm sorry, but I can't help with your second or third questions - it's a new area for me, and only tangentially related to our main research questions. Someone else in Stataland may know how different the updated under 5 references are, or you may be able to get the old data from the WHO website to compare with the new data. I can't comment on -zanthro- because I didn't end up using it. (The help file indicated it used US and UK growth standards. Since my study population is from rural Nepal, I thought the new WHO standards would be a better choice for me.) I'm sorry I don't have anything more helpful for you.
Best,
Elizabeth

--------Begin log file--------

. * Fill in the macro parameters to run the command */
.
. igrowup_standard reflib datalib datalab gender agemons ageunit weight height measure head muac tri sub oed
> ema sw

Please wait, programme is running.............

Note: z-scores are flagged according to the following rules:

_zwfl = . if (_zwfl < -5 or _zwfl >5)
_zlen = . if (_zlen < -6 or _zlen >6)
_zwei = . if (_zwei < -6 or _zwei >5)
_zbmi = . if (_zbmi < -5 or _zbmi >5)
_zhc = . if (_zhc < -5 or _zhc >5)
_zac = . if (_zac < -5 or _zac >5)
_zts = . if (_zts < -5 or _zts >5)
_zss = . if (_zss < -5 or _zss >5)
file C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.dta saved
Note 1: Original data plus z-scores are written to
C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.dta
Note 2: Original data plus z-scores are written to
C:\data\growth\growth05\work05\g05_z_st.xls

Please wait, programme is calculating prevalences.............

no room to add more variables
An attempt was made to add a variable that would have resulted in more than 2048 or 2047 variables
(Stata reserves one variable for its own use). You have the following alternatives:

1. Drop some variables; see help drop.

2. If you are using Stata/SE, increase maxvar; see help maxvar.
r(900);

---------End log file-------------

Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan wrote:

Hi Elizabeth,
This question has just come ontime for me.

1) I have tried running the do files in Stata 10 and
SE 8 but have not been able to do so. I get this
error:
. . . /* Fill in the macro parameters to run the
command */
. igrowup_standard reflib datalib datalab gender
agemons ageunit weight height measure head muac tri sub

oedema sw
Please wait, programme is running.............

I've tried saving the files in the same location with
shorter name but havent manage to solve it. Did you
experience anything like this?
2) How different are the z-scores calculated by the
1997 reference population and the WHO 2005 reference
for under 5 years old?
3) Any further info on how zanthro works is greatly
appreciated.
regards, Gaby