Re: Re: st: new problem with table display

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: new problem with table display
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:17:55 +0000

I am sure this view is widely held. No doubt I should
also add support for LaTeX, HTML, XML, etc. It is a point
of some delicacy that people who want the one kind of
support often have zero interest in the other.

P.S. To Gauss is attributed the saying

"Lack of mathematical culture is revealed nowhere so
conspicuously as in meaningless precision in numerical calculation."

and Aristotle said much the same thing two thousand and some years
earlier.

But it is nevertheless, as you say, widely customary to treat all counts
as exact and all measurements as inexact. The 1971 UK Census included
report by 1 sq.km. grid squares. 1 sq.km. on occasion contains very
few people and so the resulting count data were Barnardised (randomly
perturbed), supposedly to protect confidentiality. (The name comes from G.A. Barnard.) Making the few counts that might have been _exactly_ correct into possibly incorrect numbers sounds like some kind of irony
to me.

Richard Ohrvall

I agree with your wish-list, but I, and I guess many more, would also
like to add the ability to easily transport the table to Excel or
other spreadsheet-programs, using commands instead of copy&paste and
getting it nicely formatted. Other statistical packages are a bit
ahead in this aspect.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/