st: variable names from variable window to command window (and cutting from the command window)

From   "Leny Mathew" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: variable names from variable window to command window (and cutting from the command window)
Date   Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:08:19 -0400

Dear Statalisters,
                          I'm trying to select variables from a few
data sets in order to merge them into one. I'm selecting the variables
by clicking on the variable name in the variables window. I have a
long list of variables and am now on the 48th variable name. From this
point onwards stata does not allow me to click to bring the variable
into the command window. On clicking, it just changes the last
variable name into the next one and does this over and over again at
each new variable. The variable names are long and I would rather
click them in from the variable window than type each one in. Has
anybody encountered this before?
I've just started using version 10, never had this issue with the
previous version I used(8.2)

While looking through statalist I came upon a posting about 'cutting'
from the command window. I've had the same problem, but found that I
could use 'cut' if I had a space between the    starting edge of the
command window and the first character.

Thanks,

Leny