Re: st: ? Bug: Stata 10 crashes when ctrl+9 pressed twice

From   David Jacobs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ? Bug: Stata 10 crashes when ctrl+9 pressed twice
Date   Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:52:56 -0400

I am having all sorts of difficulties with Stata 10 MP 4 on a Windows XP 32 machine with 2 gigs of memory. First, it locks up at random times and sometimes at quite awkward moments before I've saved the recent alterations to my data. I'm not sure exactly what I've done (if anything) to precipitate this untoward behavior.

Second, if I leave a help screen up and then create and edit a graph, the help screen can't be moved nor can it be removed by clicking on its "X" button. The only way to get rid of that locked help screen is to click on the Window tab at the top and ask Stata to "close all viewers".

Third, before I set the results buffer to a much higher capacity then the default setting, I couldn't use "control+1" to get the cursor into the results window after I'd performed a multiple runs.

I also miss both the "open recent" option under the file command in the version 10 do file and the "shift-control-S" command in the same place that set up a "save as" for a do file. I was promised that the "open recent" option that was in prior versions would be added in an upgrade but I haven't had the time to find out. Has it been?

All in all version 10 has been disappointing. I know that Stata is written for multiple operating systems, so it is more difficult for them to get things right, but about every third Stata upgrade with a new version number has been buggy.

I've (unhappily) gone back to version 9 while I wait for them to get things right in version 10.

Have others had the same experience?

Dave Jacobs