st: Problems installing xStata 10 on AIX

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Problems installing xStata 10 on AIX
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:53:21 +0200

Greetings to all.

I would like to get in touch with any AIX installer/user who succeded in
getting Stata 10 running on his system in an acceptable way.
We are experiencing several problems with the new GTK-library-based
graphical version, mainly related to the setup of the new graphical
libraries subsystem onto a complex departmental system, with more than
one hundred of users running several different applications.

1.
I cannot install the 64bits GTK libraries provided on the Stata
Web-site, because they interfere with the pre-existing libraries
(32bits), needed by other applications.

2.
The rpm's provided on the Stata Web-site cannot install the libraries in
a different directory of our choice, so we cannot avoid the above
mentioned conflicts in this way.

3.
We were not able to recompile GTK libraries from the source code
provided on the BULL Open Source website, for several reasons that would
be too long to list here.

The questions are :
a) Have someone successfully installed xstata 10 on AIX (and got it run
fine) ?
b) What was the procedure and was it a smooth process ?
c) What was the effort required ?
d) Was this effort payed back by the new graphical features ?

I think that merging experiences from the users's world with the kind
suggestions coming from the StataCorp Technical support ( working on
systems I guess are simpler than ours because - perhaps - dedicated only
to Stata developing ) might be very useful to us.

Further, running a self-contained statically linked on a LINUX system,
the quality of the graphical interface is much worse than the previous
version.
(Running XStata on a remote departmental system is even worse, being
much slower too - The version 9 used to be fine wrt quality and speed).

Thanks a lot.

Giancarlo Marra

** Le e-mail provenienti dalla Banca d'Italia sono trasmesse in buona fede e non
comportano alcun vincolo ne' creano obblighi per la Banca stessa, salvo che cio' non
sia espressamente previsto da un accordo scritto.
Questa e-mail e' confidenziale. Qualora l'avesse ricevuta per errore, La preghiamo di
comunicarne via e-mail la ricezione al mittente e di distruggerne il contenuto. La
informiamo inoltre che l'utilizzo non autorizzato del messaggio o dei suoi allegati
potrebbe costituire reato. Grazie per la collaborazione.
-- E-mails from the Bank of Italy are sent in good faith but they are neither binding on
the Bank nor to be understood as creating any obligation on its part except where
provided for in a written agreement. This e-mail is confidential. If you have received it
by mistake, please inform the sender by reply e-mail and delete it from your system.
Please also note that the unauthorized disclosure or use of the message or any
attachments could be an offence. Thank you for your cooperation. **