st: RE: Negative Binomial Regression

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Negative Binomial Regression
Date   Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:55:51 EDT

My most recent book, Negative Binomial Regression (Cambridge University
Press), was published in Europe in early August, and not until early last  month
in the U.S. Aside from the standard sites, the book is also being sold  through
Stata's bookstore:

_http://www.stata.com/bookstore/nbr.html_ (http://www.stata.com/bookstore/nbr.html)

Stata is used for all examples in the text, except for using LIMDEP with
negative binomial mixed model and selection model examples.  Of  course, many
advanced or enhanced Poisson and negative binomial model commands  had to be
written as Stata ado files. These, together with all data sets used  for examples,
are posted to the book's CUP web site, but can also be accessed by  going to
the above Stata address.

Among other courses, I teach a web-based course titled, "Modeling Count
Data", at _www.statistics.com_ (http://www.statistics.com) . I will be  using my
book as the course text. But since there has been some interesting work  done
on GEE models, especially dealing with goodness-of-fit and model selection
issues, since I wrote the relevant chapter about a year ago, I thought it
necessary to augment the text by adding additional discussion on this new  work. I
ended up deciding to re-write the section in the book dealing  with GEE, adding
more material on QIC/QICu, and new discussion and examples  of quasi-least
squares (QLS). There was a nice article in the previous  Stata Journal by
Justine Shults and her colleagues on QLS, and they are  currently attempting to
expand and examples related to the current  research.

Discussion of GEE appears as a section in Chapter 10 of the book. I decided
to go ahead and correct a couple of typos and added some other  clarifications
in the chapter as well. Also included is an enhanced Reference  Section,
which includes references for the added citations due to the added  discussion.

If you have purchased Negative Binomial Regression, I recommend  downloading
the replacement Chapter 10, which can be found on the statistics.com  web site
at:
_http://www.statistics.com/other/hilbe/index.php_
(http://www.statistics.com/other/hilbe/index.php)

Joseph Hilbe