Re: st: calculating nearest neighbors; looping back to the beginning of observations

Subject   Re: st: calculating nearest neighbors; looping back to the beginning of observations
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:21:39 -0400

Sarah--
To identify the nearest 100 obs, you will need 100 new variables
holding the ID for each of those neighbors; then calculating the
additional variables will also be nontrivial.  Far better to calculate
whatever you need in a single loop over all observations.  See
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-01/msg00079.html
for more detail.

The key is to calculate for each i the distance to all _N-1 not-i obs
and then sort by distance and then calculate summary stats on the
first 100 obs with an in 1/100 qualification.  Also you might want to
calculate distance using a spherical approximation to the Earth's
surface (but see -findit vincenty- for an ellipsoidal approximation).