Re: st: tobit probit censored data confusion

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tobit probit censored data confusion
Date   Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:07:03 +0200

You may have a look at Stata's FAQ at http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq. That on selection models, if I remember correctly.
Basically:
- Sample selection bias refers to problems where the y is observed only for a restricted, nonrandom sample. If you believe that the coefficients of the covariates differ according to the selection variable, then you need -heckman-. The selection equation requires to specify independent variables that affect the probability to observe y, but not its level estimated in the regression equation (conditional on a non-zero observation). If you assume that the independent variables affect both the incidence and the level of y, the Heckman model reduces to a tobit specification (-tobit-).
- Under treatment-effects models (-treatreg-), the coefficients of the covariates are restricted to be the same for treated and non-treated.
Note that only tobit has a built-in command for panel data in Stata 9 (-xttobit-). However, you may use
-xtivreg- (or -xtivreg2- from ssc) in lieu of -heckman-. Also, you may have a look at http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/usug07/12.html

Nicola