Re: st: Graphing a string variable

From   "Alan Neustadtl" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Graphing a string variable
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:21:52 -0400

The encode command may be what you are looking for.

help encode provides the following:

encode varname [if] [in] , generate(newvar) [label(name) noextend]

"encode creates a new variable named newvar based on the string variable
    varname, creating, adding to, or just using (as necessary) the value label
    newvar or, if specified, name.  Do not use encode if varname contains
    numbers that merely happen to be stored as strings; instead, use generate
    newvar = real(varname) or destring; see real() or [D] destring."

Best,
Alan