Re: Re: st: RE: KSmirnov: testing for first order stochastic dominance

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: RE: KSmirnov: testing for first order stochastic dominance
Date   Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:26:58 +0100

I was under the impression that discreteness and Kolmogorov-Smirnov
were not the best of friends. There's been some discussion of this on
the list: search the archives.

Somers' d might be more serviceable. That has the advantage that
you measure, as well as test.

. findit somersd

Pedro

The case should be simple: I have a large random sample of individuals,
some of which are black and some of which are white. I am testing whether
the distribution of a (discrete) outcome of whites dominates that of
blacks, i.e. whether one of the conditional distributions dominates the
other.

In principle, this should correspond to doing a Ksmirnov test on the
conditional cdf's in which the alternative hypothesis would be that the cdf
of whites is always above that of blacks. I am however unsure about how to
do this in practice.