st: Modelling the passage of time: OLS vs survival analysis

From   Christer Thrane <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Modelling the passage of time: OLS vs survival analysis
Date   Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:30:03 +0200

Hi everybody,

Perhaps an easy question, but I can't seem to figure it out...

My dependent variable, gathered from a survey, is the variable "time (measured in weeks) from from one started thinking about "X" until one reached a decision about X." Also, everybody in the data reached this decision. The data structure looks like this, and time ranges between 0 and 52 weeks (mean = 5.2 weeks):

id gender age time ...
1 0 30 7 ...
2 0 45 5 ...
3 1 36 0 ...
4 1 27 44 ...

and so on.

Q1: Is it theoretically meaningfull to think of this variable as suiteble for survival analysis (SA), or is this "a job" for OLS regression

Q2: Provided that SA is meaningful, how should I set up the data in ths instance?

BR,

Christer Thrane
*
* For searches and help try: