st: RE: How to use Postfile without using a new Stata dataset

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to use Postfile without using a new Stata dataset
Date   Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:12:12 +0100

There are some puzzling statements here.
Perhaps I am just misunderstanding.

First off, your title is contradictory. The
whole point of -postfile- is to create a new
dataset.

-postfile-, with -post-, creates a file as big (or as small)
as you make it. The number of observations in your
dataset in memory is neither here nor there.
In fact, new datasets spawned one-to-one from
existing datasets are almost always better produced
using quite different commands.

I don't have a clear sense of your aim, but
it's not evident that you need alternatives
to -postfile-.

However, some of the commands produced by
Roger Newson may be relevant. I am sure that
he is willing to advise if he too can understand
precisely what you want.

If this doesn't help, or others can't see
more clearly what you are asking, you may need
to spell out more what you want to do.