RE: st: RE: sub-dataset by variable numbers

From   "Jian'an Luan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>, "n j cox" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: sub-dataset by variable numbers
Date   Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:14:36 +0100

Thanks Nick for your valuable comments.  I work on a dataset with over
20,000 SNPs (variables) plus few phenotype variables.  It is computation
expensive to works directly on the big dataset, SNP by SNP (very slow).
Within a program in a loop, if I save certain number of SNPs, 100 for
example, into a tempfile in memory and work on the tempfile each time,
it is about 10-20 times faster. To automatically get the tempfile
contains a fixed number of SNPs in a loop, one after another, using
variable number is the effective way.  With "unab" command, I do not
need to know the SNP names (variables names) during the whole analysis,
while the results (including SNP name) for all SNPs can be saved in one
file using postfile.

Thank you all for your help

Jianan