RE: st: suest with large number of fixed effects

Subject   RE: st: suest with large number of fixed effects
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:00:07 +0100

Richard, Austin, and (hopefully) Jeff,

I had forgotten about Jeff's post.  Here is the key extract:

"We've recently discovered that -suest- yields incorrect results when
used
after -areg-.  This is not something that can easily be fixed given that
the
meat of the sandwich estimator of variance (Robust/Huber/White VCE)
cannot be properly computed due to the fact that the coefficient
estimates for the
absorbed categories in -areg- are not present in -e(b)- (and the
corresponding indicators are not present in the dataset)."

and here's a link to the full post:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-06/msg00874.html

What puzzles me about Jeff's statement is that absorbing
(partialling-out, demeaning, removing through first-differencing) the
fixed effects is no obstacle to using the
sandwich/robust/Huber/White/and-don't-forget-Eicker VCE with other
estimators.

For example, demeaning and using -regress- with -cluster- generates
exactly the same results as -xtreg,fe cluster()- and indeed -areg-, as
this example shows (again using Ben Jann's -center- command):

sort id
by id: center ys k n, casewise
reg c_ys c_k c_n, cluster(id)
xtreg ys k n, i(id) cluster(id) fe
areg ys k n, absorb(id) cluster(id)

If it's legitimate to use the robust VCE with transformed individual
equations, shouldn't it also be legitimate to use -suest- to combine the
equations?  The "within-equation" parts of the VCE reported by -suest-
will be the same (though maybe with a different and asymptotically
uninteresting dof adjustment) as that obtained by estimating the
separate equations on their own.  -suest- is just adding the
"cross-equation" part of the VCE.

I'd be very interested in hearing more about this from Jeff or anyone
else.

Cheers,
Mark