st: RE: Accessing saved results for mean

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Accessing saved results for mean
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:08:50 +0100

After you run -mean-

"`e(b)'"

is a string containing the word "matrix".
That is what Stata is complaining about.
Evidently it is no use to you.

You need to work with e(b), therefore.

Something more like this may be closer
to what you want. Not tested. Very
probably can be improved.

tempname b
postfile asa_esttab v1 v2 using asa_esttab, every(1) replace

foreach x in pint pncmp pact {
	mean `x' if (country==6)
	mat `b' = e(b)
	local x6 = `b'[1,1]
	mean `x' if (country==11) [pweight=pscore]
	mat `b' = e(b)
	local x11 = `b'[1,1]
	post asa_esttab (`x6') (`x11')
}

postclose asa_esttab

A small point of style is that I don't
see any need for elaboration over local
macro names. The macros exist just
as temporary holding places and can happily
be overwritten.

However, pontificating about style is a side-issue
until you can get your program working.

Of course, I don't know what your real problem is.
If it's just creating a file with six numbers,
typing them in one by one is often faster.

Michael Lemay