st: RE: parametric or non-parametric

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: parametric or non-parametric
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:26:57 +0100

I personally would argue that there are no such things as "nonparametric
methods". They should be called "rank methods", and are based on rank
order parameters, which can be estimated with confidence limits. They
are particularly suitable for use with Likert scales (I think). For
details of how to use these methods in Stata, see Newson (2002), Newson
(2006a) and Newson (2008b).

I hope this helps.

Roger

Reherences

Newson R. Parameters behind "nonparametric" statistics: Kendall's tau,
Somers' D and median differences. The Stata Journal 2002; 2(1): 45-64.
Download pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Newson R. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and
extensions. The Stata Journal 2006a; 6(3): 309-334. Download
pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Newson R. Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Percentile slopes,
differences, and ratios. The Stata Journal 2006b; 6(4): 497-520.
Download pre-publication draft from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics