st: RE: parametric or non-parametric

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: parametric or non-parametric
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:55:19 +0100

This is a good one to liven up a Friday (with apologies
to any readers who are not currently experiencing Friday).

My suggestions are fourfold.

1. You would be hard pushed to find clear and consistent
definitions of "parametric" and "nonparametric" within
many literatures, let alone between literatures. They
are terms that often confuse rather than clarify.

2. I doubt that normality of response distribution is
nearly as important for most modern modelling methods
as many introductory courses or texts state or imply.
At most normality of conditional distributions is ideal
for some methods but not even essential for many purposes.

3. Likert scales in the sense you use the term
appear to be discrete ordered scales. The normal
distribution is for continuous variables. No
transformation really can bridge that gap.
A set of spikes remain a set of spikes no matter
how much you stretch or shrink the supporting space.

4. Several excellent methods are available
for ordered (ordinal) scales. I would start by looking
at the manual entry for -ologit- and then follow
links.

Jen McCormick