Re: st: RE: Doh! Command line variable name expansion

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Doh! Command line variable name expansion
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:16:40 +0100

On 8/23/07, Maarten Buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> The oldest version I have on my computer is Stata 8 (I use it to test if a
> program works on Stata 8 if I claim it does), and the tab trick works
> there as well (and I was unaware of it till now as well)

I suspect its  a bit of a throwback to command and filename completion
on various shells on *NIX like systems (and more recently windows
command prompt).  I've been using the feature since at least version 8
and find it exceptionally useful as I'm very lazy with my typing.

It may be buried in the -man whatsnew- information somewhere, but I
don't have the time to search through them.

Neil
--
"In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to
them."  - Johann von Neumann

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/