Re: st: profile.do can not be found

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: profile.do can not be found
Date   Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:50:35 -0400

Dear Alan,

thank you for your confirmation of a bug. Could you please advise on
how can I add an item to the menu automatically after a package is
installed without having a user to run an ado file first? I planned to
deliver a profile.do file which will add an item the next time Stata
is launched.

But this seems to be a bad idea because:
1. this file might already exist
2. there might be a profile.do superior in the priority list (see manual)
3. Stata must be restarted

Is there any way I can get control immediately after a package is
installed? (say, if a package contains autorun.do, it is run
immediately after installation of the package).
I realize that this might be a security risk (we don't want to see any
Stata viruses soon...).

Alternatively, would it be possible to add a keyword "m" to the
package file syntax for "Menu item", e.g.:
m "stUser" "Descriptive" "Descriptive Command" "descrcom"
might create "Descriptive" as a submenu of the "User" menu (if not
created already) and add a call to descrcom.ado labelled "Descriptive
Command"

Thank you, Sergiy Radyakin