Re: st: ROC with complex data sets

From   Steven Joel Hirsch Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ROC with complex data sets
Date   Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:05:02 -0400

Sharonda,

I believe you are mistaken.

Although the weighting computations may be complicated, all probability surveys wind up with a "final" weight variable; call it "final_wt". It is the one that would be designated the probability weight in -svyset- , via "[pweight=final_wt]", and it is the one you would round to create a frequency weight. If that final weight variable is not present in your data, then contact the survey developers or the documentation for advice on how to calculate it.

Stratification and clustering will not affect the computation of sensitivity and specificity and, by extension, the ROC curves. Only the p-values, standard errors, and C.I.'s will be incorrect.

Note: There can be many "final weights" in a survey data set. but only one will be used at a time. In the 1999-2000 National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey, for example, there were exam weights, interview Weights, and a variety of weights for analyses of chemicals that were measured only in sub-samples. Problems do arise for investigators who want to analyse the association of two chemicals not always measured together.

Steven