st: summarizing dates

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: summarizing dates
Date   Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:13:21 -0400

I'm working with multiple observations per subject,
each with multiple date fields (eg, admission to hospital,
discharge from hospital, readmission, death). In trying
to work with them, I would like to be able to summarize
them. Eg,

 .sum admit_date if missing(disch_date)

But of course, this produces Stata elapsed date values,
which are only barely meaningful without formatting.
What I'd like to do is something like the above but get
mean, median etc displayed as formatted dates. Is there
a utility out there that can help? I know I can convert
them all to Julian dates, but those will be barely more
intelligible, and YYYYMMDD format will give distorted
summary values.

thanks,
Jeph