Re: st: Dropping Variables - Simple Question

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dropping Variables - Simple Question
Date   Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:22:32 +0100 (BST)

--- Tiago Pereira asked:
> > Supose I have two variables, X and Y with 50 and 75 observations,
> > respectively. How do I delete the first 25 observations of the
> > variable Y without losing the first 25 observations of the X
> > variable?

--- Daniel Schneider answered:
> You can't. More importantly, why would you want to do that? Most
> (all?) commands will drop missing values anyway when producing
> results.

There is actually good reason why that is difficult, and that has to do
with the convention that in a dataset the rows represent the
observations. Say we have three observation: one each on individuals
named Maarten, Tiago, and Nick, and consider the following dataset:

id       country
Maarten  .
Tiago    Brazil
Nick     UK

What would loosing only the first observation of variable country mean?

id       country
Maarten  Brazil
Tiago    UK
Nick     .