st: RE: Suest and Sureg

Subject   st: RE: Suest and Sureg
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:06:40 +0100

Alvaro,

The comment above was by me.

The way to understand what is going on is to think in terms of
efficiency vs. robustness. You get efficiency by modelling the
heteroskedasticity, cross-equation correlations, etc. correctly, and
incorporating these into GLS-type estimates of your coefficients.  You
get robustness by using a covariance estimator that is robust to
heteroskedasticity etc.

-sureg- does traditional SUR.  This is GLS-type estimation that takes
account of cross-equation correlations to get more efficiency.  Since
the cross-equation correlations are modelled, you can test cross-eqn
restrictions and the like.  But -sureg- assumes homoskedasticity, and if
the errors are heteroskedastic, then the SEs reported by -sureg- will be
wrong.

-suest- applies an Eicker-Huber-White-sandwich covariance estimator to a
set of equations estimated by, in your case, OLS.  You don't get the
efficiency that you would get if you modelled the cross-eqn correlations
(like SUR), or for that matter, the efficiency that you would get if you
modelled the heteroskedasticity and did GLS.  But your SEs will be valid
whatever the cross-equation correlations or heteroskedasticity that you
face.

Maybe you want to combine these, or perhaps do SUR with with modelled
heteroskedasticity.  I suppose this is possible, but not with the canned
estimators available in official Stata.  You would have to program them
yourself or find someone else that has already programmed them.

Your options in brief: if you are worried about heteroskedasticity, then
-suest- is your only choice; if you aren't worried about
heteroskedasticity, then both -suest- and -sureg- generate valid SEs,
but -sureg- is more efficient.

Cheers,
Mark