Re: st: RE: Question about cumulative density (cumul, xtile) -- quintiles and poverty status are not in sync. What am I doing wrong?

Subject   Re: st: RE: Question about cumulative density (cumul, xtile) -- quintiles and poverty status are not in sync. What am I doing wrong?
Date   Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:06:04 -0400

Anna Gueorguieva--
I doubt that switching between [aw] and [pw] affects your results,
since you are not calculating SEs and point estimates are unaffected
by the weight specification.  I suspect that the problem is that you
have a variable real_totc and a variable real_totc_per_ae and you
expect them to line up perfectly when they do not. Try instead:

bys wave: cumul real_totc_per_ae [aw=postpweight], gen(cdist)
gen quint = ceil(5 * cdist)

You might also just report the percent poor by wave, so you know where
in the distribution povline_m falls (and therefore how the tab of
quintile vs poor should look).