st: RE: RE: Identifier from three variables

From   "Rafael Osorio" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Identifier from three variables
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:45:51 -0300

Other way of doing it, supposing each identifier is <= 99:

gen id = house*1000+family*100+individual

By doing it this way you can tell to which house and family a specific person belongs to. If your data was not sorted by the identifiers, if you sort by this new identifier the result will be equal to sorting it by all identifiers. If your final id is large:  gen double id...

If your identifiers are greater than 99, adjust the multipliers.

Rgds,

Rafael

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 2:09 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Identifier from three variables

I'll answer this myself:

1. Don't do that. Use -egen, group()- with the -label- option.

2. See also

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Creating group identifiers
        3/01    How do I create individual identifiers numbered
                from 1 upwards?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/group.html

3. If you really must, look into -egen, concat()-, including
its options.

N�dia N. Sim�es