st: RE: Check if variables have same value

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Check if variables have same value
Date   Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:59:07 +0100

Tagging in what sense?

How do you tell which soldiers are out of step?
Majority vote? How do you split a 50:50
agreement? Three variables say "Stata" and three
say "SAS"? (No, that's an easy one to identify
which are incorrect.)

(You didn't mention strings; I guess you don't
care about strings.)

One way forward is to note that the row maximum
and the minimum will be different if any values
differ. See -egen, rowmin()- or -egen, rowmax()-.

Another is that the row median will identify
a majority in all cases where it exists. See
-egenmore- for a row median function. See

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/medians.html

for a fuller story.

In the case where a median is the midpoint between
two values, then contrariwise, all values disagree
with it. You might still have a plurality somewhere.

All these functions ignore missings in the way
you want.

Yet another story is to -reshape-. Then see also

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/distinct.html

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/diff.html

Friedrich Huebler