st: Re: question about stata and rolling regressions

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: question about stata and rolling regressions
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:22:02 -0400

Bethany,
The current design of -rollreg-, as you probably know, leaves behind timeseries of coefficient estimates and of their standard errors. It does not leave behind the full VCE from each regression. That full VCE (in particular the off-diagonal elements) would be needed to do any test on multiple coefficients such as lincom provides.

As far as I can see the official Stata rolling: prefix will not do this either if the command is regress. You can save _b and _se, but not matrices (matrix operators that return matrices not allowed in this context; error in expression: e(V)).

To circumvent this with rolling: you need to write a 'wrapper' program for regress and lincom, such as

program myregress, rclass
version 9.2
syntax varlist(ts) [if]
regress `varlist' `if'
lincom L.wpi+L2.wpi+L3.wpi+L4.wpi
return scalar sum=`r(estimate)'
return scalar se=`r(se)'
end

and then execute it with

webuse wpi1,clear
rolling sum=r(sum) se=r(se) ,window(30) saving(bethany,replace) : myregress wpi L(1/4).wpi t

The resulting file (bethany.dta) will contain the lincom estimates and their standard errors for each period.

Thanks
Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html