Re: st: Help: Spline model

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Help: Spline model
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:01:38 -0500

Besides the smoothing people doing flexible regression analysis, there
are also learning people closely related to them. And if you go
further, you may even find data mining people.

Anyway, the Stanford folks have been involved in doing this spline
stuff, and I think they are better than most other spline stuff
people. I think the most closely related project is called MARS --
they are looking at similar issues in multiple dimensions, or at
least, as far as I can remember, they were coming up with piecewise
linear models, although I am not sure they are aiming specifically at
continuous response surfaces. Hastie, Tibshirani and Friedman
(Springer 2001), The Elements of Statistical Learning, is a great
resource for that... once you've mastered Harrell's book, of course
:))