st: Re: invalid file specification

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: invalid file specification
Date   Sun, 8 Jul 2007 07:22:29 -0400

In this case a useful technique (which is easily disabled when you get tired of seeing it) is just to put a line

display "Now reading `bestand'"

just before the insheet, which would make it obvious which file it is processing (if any error conditions occur within that file, for instance) but would also show you that in fact the local had not been given a value.

It is true that Stata does not make it easy to determine which line is giving you grief in a loop context, but as Austin suggests good old-fashioned debugging techniques work well. Putting output lines into the do-file and just commenting them out when you no longer need them is one of those techniques.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html