st: RE: RE: Drop variables satisfying a condition

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Drop variables satisfying a condition
Date   Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:37:56 +0200

Here is a program that'll do what you want (and more). Save the program in a separate file called conddropvar.ado on your hard disk. In the example change the -cd- command to point to the folder in which you stored conddropvar.ado.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

*----------- begin program -------------
*! 1.0.0 MLB 6 Jul 2007
program define conddropvar, rclass
	syntax [varlist] [if] [in] [aweight fweight iweight] , ///
	[                                                      ///
	ALLOBS(string)                                         ///
	MINVAR(numlist>=0 max=1)                               ///
	MINVALUES(numlist>0 integer max=1)                     ///
	STROK                                                  ///
	IGNORESTR					                   ///
	REPLACE                                                ///
	]

	marksample touse, strok
	qui count if `touse'
	local N = r(N)
	if `N' == 0 {
		di as error "no observations"
		exit 2000
	}

	if "`weight'" != "" {
		local wgt  "[`weight'`exp']"
	}

	if `"`allobs'`minvar'`minvalues'"' == "" {
		di as error "at least one of the options allobs, minvar, and minvalues"
		di as error "must be specified"
		exit 198
	}

	if `"`strok'"' != "" & `"`minvar'"' != "" {
		di as error "options strok and minvar cannot be combined"
		exit 198
	}

	if "`strok'" != "" & "`ignorestr'" != "" {
		di ass error "options strok and ignorestr cannot be combined"
		exit 198
	}

	if "`ignorestr'" != "" {
		qui ds `varlist', not(type string)
		local varlist "`r(varlist)'"
	}

	if `"`allobs'"' != "" {
		if "`strok'" != "" {
			capture confirm string variable `varlist'
			if _rc {
				di as error "All variables in varlist must be strings"
				di as error "if both the strok and allobs options are specified"
				exit 198
			}
		}
		if "`strok'`ignorestr'" == "" {
			capture confirm numeric variable `varlist'
			if _rc {
				di as error "No variable in varlist may be a string"
				di as error "if the option allobs is specified and"
				di as error "neither the options strok or ignorestr are specified"
				exit 198
			}
		}
	}

	if `"allobs"' != "" {
		gettoken var : varlist
		local cond : subinstr local allobs "var" "`var'", all
		capture sum `var' if `cond' & `touse'
		if _rc > 0 {
			di as error "`allobs' is not a valid condition"
			exit 198
		}
	}

	if `"`minvalues'"' != "" {
 		tempvar first sort
 		gen long `sort' = _n
		gen byte `first' = 0
	}

	foreach var of varlist `varlist' {
		local drop = 0
		if `"`allobs'"' != "" {
			local cond : subinstr local allobs "var" "`var'", all
			qui count if (`cond') & `touse'
			if r(N) == `N' local drop = 1
		}
		if `"`minvar'"' != "" {
			qui sum `var' `wgt' if `touse'
			if r(Var) < `minvar' local drop = 1
		}
		if `"`minvalues'"' != "" {
			qui replace `first' = 0
			qui bys `var' `touse' : replace `first' = 1 if _n == 1 & `touse'
			qui count if `first'
			if r(N) < `minvalues' local drop = 1
		}
		if `drop' == 1 local todrop "`todrop' `var'"
	}
	local todrop : list retokenize todrop

	if "`replace'" == "" {
		di as txt "the replace options was not specified so the data remain unchanged"
		di
		if "`todrop'" != "" {
			di as txt "If the replace option was also specified"
			di as txt "the following variables would have been dropped: "
			di as result "`todrop'" as txt "."
			di
			di as txt "To drop those variables repeat this command with the replace option."
		}
		else {
			di as txt "No variable would have been dropped"
			di as txt "if the replace option was specified."
		}
		return local todrop "`todrop'"
	}
	if "`replace'" != "" {
		if "`todrop'" != "" {
			di as txt "The following variables have been dropped: "
			di as result "`todrop'" as txt "."
			drop `todrop'
		}
		else {
			di as txt "No variable has been dropped"
		}
	}
	if "`minvalues'" != "" {
		sort `sort'
	}
end
*------------------ end program -----------------

*---------------- begin example ---------------
set more off
local home "h"
cd "`home':\mijn documenten\projecten\stata\conddropvar"
sysuse auto, clear
*set trace on
conddropvar , allobs("var==0 | missing(var)") ignorestr
*set trace on
conddropvar , allobs("var==0 | var==1") minvalues(6) ignorestr replace
exit

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081