Re: st: Some experiences with Stata 10 for Linux

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Some experiences with Stata 10 for Linux
Date   Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:37:30 +0200

Lord Yupa schrieb:
> 2007/7/4, Alan Riley <[email protected]>:
>> > - After installation console Stata works, but xstata didn't start
>> due to
>> > a missing libary, namely "libtiff.so.3". ...
>>
>> Ulrich then went on to describe some truly heroic machinations that he
>> performed to install new operating system libraries.  After which, his
>> installation worked.
>>
>> While I admire Uli's resourcefulness and tenacity, I would not
>> recommend that others follow his approach.  Instead, simply install the
>> statically-linked version of Stata from the CD r
>
> I tried both the softlinking (/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 ->
> /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4) and the installation of the statically-linked
> version of stata from CD and both apparently worked for me. The link
> solution was proposed in other forums for other software with the same
> problem due to the migration of most distributions from libtiff3 to
> libtiff4. Perhaps, for other "heroic" linux user, it could be useful
> to know what version of libtiff was used in order to create
> precompiled packages of compatibility libraries.

For the time being I do not recommend to be as "heroic" as I was. The
longer I work with my Stata 10 installation, the more problems I get
with xstata. It seems very likely that this is due to my manipulation
with libraries. I haven't  the Stata CD with me right now, but I will
install the statically-linked version tomorrow, and report back.

>> > (a): Stata used a non-monospaced font for results and help files,
>> > although the font mentioned in the preferences menue was "fixed 10".
>> > However, when I clicked on the font, the highlighted font in the list
>> > was "sans 10".
>>
>> We have not heard of this from any other users nor can we reproduce
>> it on any of our own Linux systems.  It is possible that the default
>> font Stata tried to use was not available on his system, and so the
>> system defaulted to what it thought was the closest match.  Ulrich
>> should contact Stata Technical support at [email protected]
>> so that they can help diagnose what is unique about his system.
>> As a workaround, Ulrich should be able to change the font in
>> his Preferences to one of his liking.

No point to contact tech-support because of that. Changing the font is
good enough for me.

Uli