st: RE: SSC and search

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: SSC and search
Date   Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:29:15 +0100

Allan has been a Stata user since at least 1991 -- he
had a contribution in the very first STB -- but he
missed the difference between -search- and -search, net-
or -findit-, as others pointed out.

The difference hinges on a crucial practicality. StataCorp
can index its own commands and other official or near-official
material (e.g. its own FAQs, Stata Journal, STB, UCLA FAQs, ...) but
what exists in the wider world is difficult to pin down
and is in any case labile: programs can disappear as well
as appear.

Thus -search- (narrow sense, sensu stricto) looks _only_
in the .key files with your installation.

-search, net- (wide sense, sensu lato) looks also at
a database compiled daily by a StataCorp search engine.

Allan Reese