Re: Antw: Re: st: xtfrontier

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Antw: Re: st: xtfrontier
Date   Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:36:12 +0200

You should interpret the results like this: the most efficient units operates at an efficiency level which is about 1/1.44=70 of its theorerical maximum. While the numbers are economically surprising (you can't believe that a firm survives working at one seventh of its efficiency level --- but some niche car builders as Ferrari or Lamborghini may not be driven to efficiency by market forces as car builders in more competitive market segments - as Wolkswagen or Ford), the concept is not. Firms usually have some inefficiencies (they are called X-inefficiency). Those who appear to you as inefficiencies are slack resources that firms usually need to face environmental changes/external shocks/unexpected events.
If you really want to rescale, you need to divide each TE by 1.439743, as suggested by Ahmed, not to substract .439743 (remember that TE are exponentiated coefficients)! Then you can interpret the resulting coefficients as units producing their output below the *most* efficient unit.

Nicola