Re: st: RE: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful
Date   Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:34:33 -0400

The "set write-old-ver 9" command does not have an effect when the
desired output is a Stata/SE file. I use Stat/Transfer command files
to convert Excel files to Stata format. With Stat/Transfer 8, the
following command creates a Stata/SE 9 file, as expected.

 copy excel "filename.xls" stata/se "filename.dta"

With Stat/Transfer 9, the new file appears to be in Stata 10 format,
even when the following commands are used.

 set write-old-ver 9
 copy excel "filename.xls" stata/se "filename.dta"

When I try to open filename.dta with Stata/SE 9.2, I get this message:

 file filename.dta not Stata format
 r(610);

Having a profile.stc file with the line "set write-old-ver 9" in the
Stat/Transfer program folder does not help, either. To create a file
that can be opened with Stata 9, the following commands must be used
(note that "stata/se" has been changed to "stata").

 set write-old-ver 9
 copy excel "Country names.xls" stata "Country names.dta" /t1 /od /y

Based on my tests, Stat/Transfer 9 command files cannot be used to
create Stata/SE files that are compatible with Stata/SE 9.

Friedrich