st: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful

Subject   st: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:49:42 -0500

Here is a quirky little problem in case anyone else encounters it: I got Stat/Transfer 9 today as well as its upgrade patch. I was puzzled because Roger Newson's -stcmd- and -inputst- commands (available from SSC) suddenly stopped working right - specifically I got error messages to the effect that the files created were not in Stata format. It finally occurred to me that Stat/Transfer 9 was probably already defaulting to Stata 10 format. At least until I get Stata 10, that is not a good thing, and it will never be good for someone who doesn't get Stata 10.

Here is the workaround I came up with: in the folder C:\Program Files\StatTransfer9 (or wherever the program is located) create a file called profile.stc. That file should contain the line

set write-old-ver 9

or, if you prefer, 8 or 7 or whatever. If you are running the command processor interactively, you can give the set write-old-ver command interactively as well. If you are running Stat/Transfer via the Windows interface, in Options (4) you can set the version of Stata you want (but this only seems to apply when using the Windows interface).

One other tidbit: Stat/Transfer 9 now uses an activation code system. As I understand it, the software can only be installed on one machine at a time, although you can de-activate and re-activate on another machine. I don't mind reasonable copy-protection, but personally I think most software should be usable on both a desktop and a laptop by the same person. You can have both versions 8 and 9 installed at the same time, so you may wish to also keep 8 installed if you already have it.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam